Kentucky Land Patents: West of Tennessee River Military Series

The Jackson Purchase region of Kentucky was acquired under the October 19, 1818, land treaty between the United States and the Chickasaw Indian Nation. A number of Revolutionary War soldiers occupied the Jackson Purchase prior to the treaty. On December 26, 1820, the Kentucky General Assembly approved legislation for the "surveying of military claims west of the Tennessee River" and for the establishment of a town at Iron Banks. The 242 patents under this series were authorized by entries filed with the Military Surveyor prior to May 1, 1792

This database includes: information on entry, survey, & grant dates; the persons having the land surveyed & receiving the grant; watercourse/location with internal gazetteer; and members of the surveying team. There is also an internal link to the Revolutionary War Warrants Database. This database may also include scanned images of the Warrant(s) authorizing each survey, the Entries reserving land for patenting, the official Survey depicting each tract, and the Grant finalizing each patent. After the Grant is received, subsequent conveyances may be researched by contacting the appropriate county clerk or the Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives in Frankfort.

    Search By:       Match:

    Search For:   Show:
      (Use '%' as a wildcard or to list all entries.)
    Sort By:    

Series Summary

The Jackson Purchase region of Kentucky was acquired under the October 19, 1818, land treaty between the United States and the Chickasaw Indian Nation. Representing the United States in the negotiations were Gen. Andrew Jackson & Gov. Isaac Shelby. Representing the Chickasaw Tribes were chiefs and warriors, including Levi & George Colbert, Chinubby (the Boy King), & Tishomingo. In return for the relinquishment of all lands east of the Mississippi River & north of the Mississippi state line, the Chickasaws received $300,000.00 at the rate of $20,000.00 annually for 15 years.

Located west of the Tennessee River and east of the Mississippi River, the Jackson Purchase came into the Commonwealth as an extension of Christian County with Old Wadesboro designated as its capital & land office. Over time, the area was divided into counties. Today there are eight counties in the Jackson Purchase; they are: Hickman, Calloway, Graves, McCracken, Marshall, Ballard, Fulton, and Carlisle.

A number of Revolutionary War soldiers occupied the Jackson Purchase prior to the treaty. On December 26, 1820, the Kentucky General Assembly approved legislation for the "surveying of military claims west of the Tennessee River" and for the establishment of a town at Iron Banks. The 242 patents under this series were authorized by entries filed with the Military Surveyor prior to May 1, 1792. While military patents were being issued, the Jackson Purchase was mapped by William T. Henderson under mapping guidelines for public lands, i.e. ranges, townships and sections. The 9308 West of Tennessee Non-Military Patents are available from the Kentucky Land Office.